Friday, April 20, 2012

Angie's: an American success story


 May 11 marks 34 years since Saboor Sahey left his homeland of Afghanistan for America. The country was in turmoil and soon would be invaded by Soviet troops, beginning a communist regime.
 With $300 dollars hidden in a tube of toothpaste, he passed by dozens of armed troops that filled the airport. Scraping through security with his hidden life-savings intact, Sahey escaped the war and headed to the US with the few possessions he had left.
 His destination: Logan, Utah.
 A high school friend of Sahey’s suggested he come to Utah State University, sending him an application in the mail. Sahey was accepted, but had no money for tuition.
 Over the next three years, Sahey would wash dishes all night until classes started in the morning. He would work two jobs in the summer to save for the next semester of school at Utah State.

 “I would have to work 40-50 a week just to pay for my food and my room and my board and everything else,” Sahey said. “I never received a dime from my parents. The war had cut off all communications with Afghanistan and they couldn’t send a thing.”
 By the time he would graduate, he had risen through the ranks to be the store manager of Sambo’s restaurant – three years after arriving off a plane with all his savings hidden in a tube of toothpaste.

 He was promoted. He moved to Oregon as a district manager over several west coast Sambo’s restaurants. While there he would meet his wife and they would have their first child, a girl named Angie.
 Sambo’s went out of business, and Sahey returned to Cache Valley to start his own restaurant – right back where he had taken his first job in Logan.

 “We came back to Logan, got a small loan, talked to the landlord and opened Angie’s in the old Sambo’s location,” Sahey said. “So I came back to the same restaurant where I started as a dishwasher.”
 In the beginning, Sahey and his wife worked 19 hour days to keep the restaurant open. He cooked the meals. She was the waitress. He did all the bookkeeping. She baked all the desserts and rolls.

 “We started with 15 employees,” Sahey said. “For the first year, I opened the restaurant and I closed the restaurant. I’d be there at five in the morning and close it at midnight.”
 Today, the restaurant has 75 employees and a clientele that is true to the logo on the sign out front: “Where the locals eat.”

 “I come about twice a week. From the first time I came, I’ve always been treated like family,” said customer Anita Kambestad. “They know my name. They talk to me about things that are going on, about housework, about how my kids are doing.”
 Dan Dee visits Angie’s every Monday for coffee – and meets his friends there most nights of the week too.

 “I love the people and the coffee,” Dee said.
 Despite the countless hours of work he has put into the restaurant, Sahey credits his customers for the restaurant’s success.

 “Everything I have I owe to this country and this community. This community supported us through thick and thin, up to where we are today,” said Sahey. “Wherever we can, we try to give something back to the community to show our appreciation.”
 From local blood drives to free meals on Thanksgiving, Angie’s is constant and consistent in its charity. The feeling of family among staff and customer is what makes the restaurant a household name in Cache Valley.

 Whether it’s a group of students finishing off a tin full of ice cream known as “the Sink”, or a few old friends getting together to talk about days past, this is a restaurant ingrained in its community.
 “The food is really good, I enjoy the atmosphere and I enjoy the people,” Kambestad said. “That’s why I come here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment